Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Three Hour Glucose Test

I was going to blog about this last week, however - I was way too upset to write about it, so I thought I would wait until today, when I had lots of time to just sit and enjoy some relaxation (okay maybe using enjoy is a bit of stretch)

I am sitting in the hospital waiting room in the middle of my three hour test.  It has been a long morning but I am over half way done.  I know I can get through this and it will all be worth it in the end, however in the midst of it, it really stinks.

Last week I took the one hour test - it wasn't fun by any means, but I drank the syrup and though it was gross, it didn't make me sick.  I had my blood taken before and after as part of the test.  That afternoon I found out my fasting sugar was great - at the low end of normal - that made me very happy!  However, then she went on to say that my Glucose levels however were high which meant I would have to come back for the three hour test.

I tried to not cry or get angry - it didn't work too well.  I least I held it together until I got to the elevator, then the tears began to flow - in fact I cried the whole way home.  My poor husband - I feel badly that he has to deal with all my medical woes and my pregnancy emotions, but he handles it so well.  The worse part about the ride home was the fact that I was craving a blizzard at DQ but I was so upset that I didn't pass the glucose test I thought that the last place I should stop would be Dairy Queen.

So this morning I got up at 5:30 am and at the hospital at the butt crack of dawn.  Then the test began....

Four  things that really stink about this test....
1.  It is so early in the morning
2.  I had to come by myself
3.  The glucose syrup made me sick this week - very sick!  (The nurse kept saying - try really hard to keep it down!)
4.  I have to get my blood taken 5 times in the three hours.

Four Good things about this test.
1.  I have been able to keep the syrup down!
2.  There is one comfy chair in the waiting room with a footrest and I was here so early that I have moved in and claimed it.
3.  I have gotten a lot done while sitting here (praise God they have a wireless connection here)
4.  While sitting here waiting, my little girl is rolling around and seems to be enjoying my down time.

I know that this test is just part of the pregnancy journey and I know that I am just way too tired and hungry so it makes it all worse!  Looking forward to being done in an hour and super excited to get something to eat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment