Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Being Me and Drug Free!

That was a catchy slogan that I remember having a poster of in my health classroom many years ago..... but every time I think about my current situation - that is what I think of.

For the last 4 years of my life I have been the pharmacists best friend (or worst nightmare - I hope not).  With all my MS drugs and injections, as well as my vitamin supplements, and my blood clotting meds - it seems that I was always taking something or giving myself a shot.

During my pregnancy, I had to give myself shots daily.... however that was instead of my MS injection (which is much larger and makes me much sicker) so as much as I didn't like it - it was a welcome change, and the trade off in the end was well worth it!

Now - I have been off all my MS meds and pregnancy injections for two months.... I feel like a new woman.  I have all the benefits of pregnancy, without being pregnant because I am nursing.  I know that nursing isn't for everyone and many wish they could nurse but just couldn't - for me it has changed my life.... as long as I nurse my chances of staying in remission are so much greater!  My friends and I joke that maybe I should just become a wet nurse until I am 50 or so and send my milk to a milk bank somewhere.

All I can say is that I feel great!  And whether this is temporary or long term - each day is a gift and I am blessed to have the gift of remission for the time being!

No comments:

Post a Comment